Saturday, November 3, 2007

Already?

Late this morning I emailed a cover letter and a CV to a school that was accepting electronic applications.

Early this afternoon I received a rejection letter.

I can't help but admire the efficiency of a search committee that gathers on Saturdays at lunchtime to breathlessly await the arrival of each new electronic applications--nearly a week before the application deadline, no less! Clearly, this is a marvel of dedication.



But seriously.

My application must have very obviously not fit with something that they were looking for, despite the fact that there was nothing in the job ad to indicate that. Well, fair enough; they're looking for something and I'm not it. But still, I can't help but be a little taken aback. And marginally worried that my CV is somehow tainted with an appalling, un-hire-able trait.

My only real regret is that this was one of only two schools in my optimal location that's hiring this year. Oh well. The other one looks like a better fit anyway.

8 comments:

Fretful Porpentine said...

My bet is that they have one standard form e-mail to acknowledge the receipt of applications, and another one for rejections, and the secretary or work-study student in charge of such matters sent the wrong one by mistake.

heu mihi said...

That's possible. But it was sent from the email address of the search committee chair, so that would be a pretty huge gaffe.

Anyway, I'll assume I'm rejected, and to them I say: Whatever!

Yes, I'm all about the sass.

Tiruncula said...

Yikes! For all the complaining we do about search committees taking forever to notify candidates, there's something to be said for observing a decent interval to make it at least look like they read the application! Sheez.

heu mihi said...

I know! Wait a week, people.

meg said...

That's really bizarre.

In case you need to hear it, your cv looks FINE, unless you've done something strange to it in the past six months. So says an almost-total stranger.

medieval woman said...

they suck.

Sisyphus said...

Just an update (I hope you find this buried in a back post): Dissertation Buddy told me that the same thing happened to her last week ... not even a full 24-hour turnaround time. Since you're both meds, I bet it was the same place. Maybe they have an inside candidate.

heu mihi said...

Thanks, Sisyphus. Yeah, maybe they do! But even so, they should keep up a *minimal* pretense--if only to mitigate our paranoia.

And thanks, Meg--that's very reassuring!