Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Everything is different now

I did the impossible.

I published my way out.

The waiting is over, and I won't be in Field Town until I retire.

I got a new job--at a Northeast R1. With a 2/2 teaching load. Research money. A salary that's...well, a lot more than I make now. And I'll be living two hours away from my family--thirteen hours closer than I am now.

Oh, and it's in a beautiful part of the country.

I'm going to have to re-subtitle my blog.

I don't feel as over-the-moon happy as I thought I would, but that's a consequence of the complexity of this change: TM is leaving his job for prospects unknown; I may or may not owe Field College a lot of money because I'm departing after my sabbatical. And I'll miss some things here, of course, and quite a few people.

We've been here for eight years. TM and I met here. A lot is going to change.

I find change unsettling, which is something that I'll have to remember this summer. I only got the offer six days ago; I think I'm still realizing that it's real. (And yes, I've signed something with New University and officially resigned from Field. That's why it took me six days to tell you all.)

I'm going to have a lot to say about this transition, I think, and the terms of the offer and the whole search thing at this stage in my career. But that'll be a whole other series of posts. Right now, my almost-three-year-old is calling for me to join him on the porch, so that's what I'm going to do.

18 comments:

Flavia said...

Holy SHIT! That's terrific news! Congrats, Heu Mihi. Can't wait to see what the future brings you.

JaneB said...

Well, congratulations! Amazing to hear that people CAN still do that, and so pleased for you!!!

Fie upon this quiet life! said...

OMG!!!! Good for you!! It can be done. That is such great news!!! Yay!!!!

undine said...

Congratulations! This is great news.

What Now? said...

Wow! I wondered if that's what some of the uncertainty was about in your recent blog post. This is HUGE news! I know that there's risk for TM and that it must be a stressful although good change for your entire family. Best wishes to you in this time of transition, and hearty congratulations!

Sisyphus said...

Day-um!!!!! You gangsta.

Fretful Porpentine said...

Congratulations!

Dana said...

Congratulations!

Susan said...

Congratulations!

Notorious Ph.D. said...

W00t!!!

Good for you! Oh my goodness, you've done it! Hooray!!!

Will you be at the 'zoo this year? Can we celebrate together?

Bardiac said...

Congratulations! That's fabulous news! I look forward to your new subtitle!

meg said...

This is so wonderful to hear!

heu mihi said...

Thanks, everyone!

And Notorious--yes, I'll be at the 'zoo, for all four days! (I can't wait!) Email me and we'll catch up!

Belle said...

Fabulous news; congratulations and greatest of luck in the new situation!

thedesertknitter said...

Congratulations!!! How wonderful!

Good Enough Woman said...

Congratulations! That is amazing and fabulous news! I can't wait to hear more, and I hope you will share your transition with us even though you'll be busy.

Maude said...

Congratulations!!

profacero said...

Brilliant. Good for you!!!