Saturday, September 21, 2013

Stating your plans out loud guarantees that they will fail

It's crazytown over here.

No, I haven't graded at home yet. But I did take some grading with me this weekend, just in case. And I've only worked on my research for 6 of the last 14 days.

Here's the deal, though. Last Sunday night, Bonaventure's daycare provider had emergency surgery, so daycare shut down for the week. We patched together babysitting, but it cost more and covered less time than daycare--so we've been taking Bonaventure to office hours and meetings and just spending more time at home.

AND NOW, it turns out that daycare will be closed for THREE MORE WEEKS. WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO????

As if that weren't bad enough, here's what else happened this week (in roughly chronological order):

  • Bonaventure's wipes warmer (necessary for his cloth wipes) quit working.
  • The oven light and the porch light almost simultaneously went out.
  • The refrigerator door fell off.
  • We had some minor flooding in the basement.
  • The cat got sick and spent all night hiding outside.
  • The garage door stopped closing.
  • I'm pretty sure that there's something else, and that I'm blocking it out.
I consider the fact that weren't relatively calm this evening to be a pretty major success.

Unfortunately, I have about 800 meetings coming up this week. And I'd rather not be chasing a baby/toddler--or actually nursing him--during a meeting with first-year Honors students. It's going to be an adventure.

6 comments:

Fie upon this quiet life! said...

Oh man... that's a nightmare in a post, that is. I am really lucky that hubby is able to work from home, meaning that if babysitting falls through, we're covered. But that has not always been the case. It's such a pain when things like this happen. Ugh!! I feel for you!

Sisyphus said...

The *door* fell off? *scratches head.* What have you all been *doing* over there?

I hope things go better for you next week!

What Now? said...

What a horrible week! I hope that all of this can be blamed on the fool moon and that life will settle down this week.

Bardiac said...

Wow, that sounds like a rough week!

If you have an education program at your school, you may be able to find students who are excited to be with little kids and babysit. My colleagues have a number of students who sit for their pre-school kids, and just work out the scheduling (which is tough, but do-able).

Dr. Koshary said...

The refrigerator door is what makes the litany of irritations almost tragically comic. Good luck getting everything worked out! Remember, in a few years, that stupid falling door will be a funny story to teach Bonaventure about his earlier days.

Notorious Ph.D. said...

Somewhere around "the refrigerator door fell off" would have seen me collapse onto the kitchen floor in a fit of hysterical giggles.

Here's hoping that things turn around soon. Perhaps you're getting the rest of this year's bad luck out of the way now?