Saturday, February 9, 2013

All power to the Mihis!

(I am, by the way, aware of the grammatical problem with that title.)

In my last post, I hinted at a few grand things that were happening at work.

Well, #1: As of yesterday, TM and I have tenure. This is kind of weird, since "tenure" always seemed like something that was only held by people who'd been professors for ages and were hopelessly ahead of me. And yet, here we are.

#2: Last month, in anticipation of his receiving tenure, TM was voted faculty vice president for next year, which means that he'll be faculty president in 2014-15.

#3: And then I was asked to chair the Humanities Division. I'll keep directing the Honors Program for at least one year, too, which means--wait for it--a 3/2 teaching load! Woo hoo! (And I never say "woo hoo.")

#4: In an effort to totally concentrate power over Field College within our household, we have arranged to have Bonaventure named Vice President of Academic Affairs, and the cats are now Associate Deans (Student Life and Admissions, respectively). That's right: We now run everything.

9 comments:

undine said...

Congratulations to the Mihis!

What Now? said...

Hurrah -- congratulations all around!

Bardiac said...

Congratulations! And I'm sure the new cat deans will do an excellent job, too! [Insert comment about them at least not saying anything really egregious.]

Maude said...

Congratulations!!

Sisyphus said...

Yay! Tiaras for everyone!!!

I hope your plan to get the college renamed after you two (or possibly the cats) goes smoothly!

Belle said...

Wow! Tenure happens! And oh, the seduction of power. Be careful giving Bonaventure such power; VPAAs have a short stick-around record. B will be head-hunted away before 4th grade, and then you'll have to decide whether to follow or stunt B's career!

Pilgrim/Heretic said...

I am pleased to express my full and complete submission to your plans for world domination. Congratulations!

Dr. Koshary said...

All hail the House of Mihi!

Flavia said...

Congrats, youse!

And really, if more deans napped for 18 hours a day, many colleges would be better run.