Tuesday, November 29, 2011

It's true what they say about the second trimester

I've decided to come clean. Here it is, folks: I'm pregnant, and due in June.

To be precise, I'm just over 12 weeks pregnant--which means that I'm at the end of the first/beginning of the second trimester. Judging from how I feel, I'd say that it's the latter. For, on Sunday, lo and behold, I got a few things done.

If, for some reason, you've read my comments on the Another Damned Notorious Writing Group check-ins, you may have noticed that I was...hm, not...happily productive? Maybe a little pissed-off and bitter sounding? Struggling to do even 1 hour a week of work on my writing? Well, now you know why. No--I was not pissed off and bitter about the pregnancy; on the contrary. But I was exhausted. All the time. And in the last 2-3 days, by virtue of the sudden contrast in energy level, I'm starting to appreciate just how exhausted I was. (Perhaps this also accounts for the total near-lapse in blogging this semester, but given what a lame blogger I am at the best of times, I'm not convinced.)

So it was a rough semester: 4 classes/4 preps, plus taking Greek, chairing a major governance committee, and running the Honors program--which grew enormously this year and last (it now has twice as many students as it did two or three years ago), and struggling through the crushing fatigue of starting to grow a person. Basically, for the last seven weeks, I had almost enough energy to do the absolute minimum that I needed to do every day to get by--which means that this week, I'm trying to catch up on lots and lots of loose ends.

All this by way of explanation, not complaint. TM and I are delighted, apprehensive, and hopeful (it's still early yet; miscarriage is always a possibility). I've been lucky to have only a little nausea and a weird aversion to cooked greens and tomatoes, which is totally unlike me, and 10 days ago we had our first ultrasound. It was amazing--way cooler than I expected--to see the little thingum in there, all person-shaped, kicking its feet and waving its fin-hands around. The heart was beating, and it even has a head!

(Yes, I know how that sounds, but I don't think that I was really convinced that I was growing a baby until I actually saw it. I spent the first 8 weeks or so half-convinced that I had psychosomatically given myself pregnancy symptoms and somehow stopped menstruating through sheer force of will. Oh, and the positive pregnancy tests? Clearly I was manufacturing pregnancy hormones through, um, the power of suggestion? I don't know. I didn't say it was rational.)

Anyway, that's all. The semester is almost over. I'm a little nervous about telling everyone about this whole thing, since of course it's not a sure thing until the baby's born. But I figured you all ought to know.

17 comments:

Notorious Ph.D. said...

Wow! Okay, so we'll have to throw you a party at week 12!

Hooray!!! This, and house, and everything. Awesome to be you!

Good Enough Woman said...

Congratulations, Heu! And "yay!" for starting to feel better. In my first trimester, I was teaching four days a week at 7:30am. It just about killed me. Thank God for Cheerios (the only thing I could choke down in the mornings).

As for feeling nervous? Not to alarm you, but that will never go away. What's the first thing about becoming an expectant mother that then carries over into motherhood? Worry. Alas, there is no way around it.

So glad you're feeling better. And down with cooked greens and tomatoes (at least for now)! What is it that you *want* to eat? My first craving was lemonade. Then it was soup. Then it was Krispy Kreme donuts. And for the life of me, I could not *stand* to eat chicken throughout my entire first pregnancy. I could eat beef, pork, even rabbit, but I could not abide chicken.

Here's to you and TM and the little finster! Thanksgiving, indeed!

Dr. Koshary said...

Mazel tov, Heu! I was stunned to read this news — I immediately thought of all the academic obligations you piled on yourself this semester, just like you said. You like to keep yourself busy, don't you?

Also, I adore your descriptions. "...it even has a head!" It's good that you're not trying to overload the kid with high expectations just yet.

Fie upon this quiet life! said...

Congratulations!! The second trimester is great! Enjoy it! I actually loved being pregnant. I felt so connected to womanhood and the idea of creating a person. It was awesome both times.

Huzzah for babies!!!

Dr. Virago said...

Huzzah! Happy, happy news! Here's wishing you an uneventful pregnancy and a healthy baby!

Sisyphus said...

Whoo-hoo! Congratulations!

And chime on the idea that you don't have to absolutely *everything.* I hope you get a chance to relax and catch your breath soon!

PS I don't want to alarm you, but my captcha for this is "fatter." I didn't say it! It was the captcha!

undine said...

Congratulations! Let me second everyone's thoughts about relaxing and catching your breath.

What Now? said...

What exciting news -- many congratulations to you and TM! Any chance that next semester will be any lighter on the professional obligations so that you can actually put your feet up occasionally?

meli said...

congratulations from a long-time lurker! i actually half expected this announcement, due to all the exclamations of exhaustion in the previous posts...

nola.phd said...

Congratulations!! Awesome news! Are we going to get bump and nursery pics?

And like the others, I do hope you're going to be able to relax soon, like at winter break?!

meg said...

Congratulations!

Ink said...

Congratulations! *throws confetti and virgin cocktails*

Renaissance Girl said...

Congratulations!

Matilda said...

Great news!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!
I remember my pregnant days reading your post. Take care!

virgo said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

Flavia said...

!!!!!

Congrats, lady! And I'm so glad to hear that your energy is returning, just in time for break!

Hannah said...

congrats!!! i've been reading your blog awhile and felt this was worth of comment. :)