Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Two Firsts

1) Got my first agent query rejection yesterday morning. The first of many, many such, I'm sure.

2) Also in my inbox yesterday morning was an invitation to contribute an essay to an edited collection. The book isn't under contract yet--they need the article abstracts for that, obviously--but there is an "interested press," as they say. Anyway, what's cool is that this essay collection is exactly in line with my current research interests! How did that happen? I mean, since no one officially knows what my current research interests are, given that I haven't published anything on them yet? (One article is coming out in the Fall, but it's not out yet, so....)

Anyway, it's all very exciting. It makes me feel like a Real Scholar of some kind. (And maybe I should, like, get over feeling like an Unreal Scholar, since I do have a book out and all that. But, you know, eh. I still feel like I'm about 23 years old when it comes to this profession.)

3 comments:

Fie upon this quiet life! said...

Good for you! Rejection is part of the process for writers of all stripes. It just means you're one step closer to placing your book somewhere. Good luck!

Yeah, I don't know if the imposter syndrome ever goes away. I suppose we just have to keep plowing through it. Sigh... But!! That's awesome that you're being solicited for research. Go for it!!

What Now? said...

Hurrah! And I'm glad that you got the good news the same morning as you got the rejection -- helps with maintaining perspective and all that.

P said...

Congrats! You continue to amaze me!!!