Thursday, March 17, 2011

More News from My Transparent Psyche

I dreamt last night that my grad advisor had read the recent review of my book. She came to me, looking sorrowful.

"It was pretty good, right?" I said. "I mean, I know that she has some criticisms, but it was good on the whole."

"It was very...polite," she replied. "But if we had caught the errors that it points out in time, you never would have passed your defense."

I was devastated. I tried to rally myself to point out that the reviewer had really liked my chapter on ---, but the skepticism on Advisor's face checked me. And I woke up, wondering whether those little criticisms outweighed all the praise, and why in the world the reviewer would have contacted me if she didn't like the book.

Polite!

Could I have a more literal dream-life??

4 comments:

Dr. Koshary said...

Dear lord. This outdoes my grad-school nightmares about my RC-ish instructor berating me for my linguistic incompetence.

Notorious Ph.D. said...

Oh god, that's a dreadful dream.

medieval woman said...

Ha! First off, I read the review and was going to contact you to CONGRATULATE you on its awesomeness! And Advisor would have been totally pleased - you know, in a restrained way, but completely pleased.

No worries!!

Alice said...

its a wonderful post really so good post i like it a lot
xl pharmacy