Sunday, January 16, 2011

THERE. That wasn't so hard, was it?

You know how, when you have one paper to grade, it's like the most difficult thing in the world?

Well. I've had a paper (fulfilling a well-deserved Incomplete) sitting on my desk since I got back from my holiday travels--that is, for 16 days--and I just couldn't bring myself to deal with it.

The worst [or best?] of it is, I knew that it was going to be an excellent paper. It was from my upper-division seminar, by an excellent student, and I'd seen a draft (which was quite good). There was no question; it was going to get an A.

But I dawdled.

And dawdled.

And, since classes don't begin until Tuesday, had very little incentive to grade it (other than to finally cross it off my list of things to do).

So, tonight, finally, I made myself do it--in part because I spent the early part of the evening clearing miscellaneous papers off of my desk (this is my home desk, mind) and it felt good, so I wanted to get this thing off, too.

And yes, it was an excellent paper. It got an A. And it took me all of 15 minutes. And it was an interesting paper that I actually enjoyed reading.

So what in the world is my problem, anyway?

I think that we need to resurrect this old picture:


--lest I forget who and what I am.

4 comments:

squadratomagico said...

WAIT.
There is a central, institutional paper-grading facility? Why did no one tell me before?

Notorious Ph.D. said...

Yes, Sq. -- it's right next door to the term paper mill!

Mom, Ph.D. said...

Wow--I thought I was the only one! I let an essay sit on my desk even longer than that this winter break (a makeup for an incomplete). I wish I could understand it--if I could, I might be able to cure myself.

heu mihi said...

Isn't that factory great? I took the picture out of a train window--I'd seen the sign before, so I stood in the vestibule between cars for about 15 minutes waiting for it to go by.

Mom, Ph.D.--if you find a cure, please share!